Doing the Award
The Duke Edinburgh’s International Award is an internationally recognised program for young people, building their skills to equip them for life and work. By creating opportunities for young people to develop skills, get physically active, give service and experience adventure, the Award can play a critical role in their development.
For further information, visit our About the Award page
The choice to do The Duke of Ed is entirely voluntary and every Award is different. Each Participant chooses what activities they want to take part in for each Section. It is a very personal program that offers young people a structure to fulfill their passions and ambitions in a way that suits them. Apart from the requirements for each Section, and the safety training requirements for the Adventurous Journey Section, the activities a Participant chooses to undertake is entirely up to them. They have the freedom to progress through The Duke of Ed according to their personal needs and abilities.
Download Guides for Participants
Key Steps in the Award Process
1) Register with an Award Unit and select an Award level
2) Receive your Record Book or Online Record Details
3) Discuss your section activities with your Award Leader and plan your Award program
4) Notify your Award Leader of your Assessor and the goals you have set
5) Set smart goals with your Assessors to be achieved
6) Identify Assessors and approach them
7) When you have finished the requirements for your activities, ensure your Assessors writes a report and signs-off on your record
8) Submit your Record Book to your Award Leader
9) Await final assessment and sign-off
10) Congratulations and receive your Award